Vestholm Castle

A completely unofficial fansite for The Settlers: Rise of an Empire.

Forums

Forum Home > The Storehouse > General Conference: Queenie

heatherek

hahhah, not this one!

November 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

The Red Prince approves.

--

"I notice that the Knights of Darion seem to live their lives within the lines of a poor romance ballad, but that is irrelevant."

November 25, 2010 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

I'm liking Heather's suggestion. :) Stupidly long names are practically turning into a running gag.

--

"If you're looking for someone who is utterly loyal and devoted to you, someone who never questions your motivations or decisions, someone who will always adore and comfort you without ever asking a single thing in return, get a pet dog." ~ Crimson Sabatt

November 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

I'm not happy with her first name, the whole surname thing sounded nice. We just gotta be careful it sounds British and not ... Guerannan.

--

"I notice that the Knights of Darion seem to live their lives within the lines of a poor romance ballad, but that is irrelevant."

November 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Rose at November 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I'm liking Heather's suggestion. :) Stupidly long names are practically turning into a running gag.

As promised, some names:

Aurelia

Charleigh (not really, but I just remembered this one)

Clarissa
Constance
Cordelia / Cornelia? Aww, I like that one but she can't have one of Sabby's surnames (almost)!
Elnora

Florence
Geneva

Heather! :D

Henrietta (uh-huh ... a guy name girlified for our Queen!)
Rowena (right ... hello Mary Sue!)

Waylah

--

November 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator
  • Rainnamel [Raina] Corlabia de Gordonwell? 

Rainnamel ... sounds too much like fantasy imo but I like the idea of finding an alteration of Raina that works! Corlabia sounds really, really nice but it's unusable due to the fact that labia means lips in both Latin and Spanish. Figure it out. *chuckles* I couldn't write that name without me 'n Crimmy getting a major laughing fit.

De Gordonwell I like! But ... I have to ask .... where does everyone get the 'de'? We're in Britain for Heaven's sake! :D I always intentionally left it out of Lani's name and simply wrote her as "Alandra of Westerlin" cause it makes no sense to me that they have non-British or non-German names (seeing that Westerlin is essentially a mix of both). Wow, I'm such an evil nitpicker again today. Sorry everyone. ;(

--

November 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Just came up with a new one!

Berenice?

--

November 26, 2010 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Penelope!

--

November 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

I've always written Westerlin as a generic mixture of Western Europe, not specifically Britain (and I'm English!). In my head it's France/England/Germany all smooshed together, as is Geth (although that leans more towards France). *shrugs*

Frankly, I'm sort of getting sick of the whole debate. How about first person to actually include her name in a story gets to pick?

--

"If you're looking for someone who is utterly loyal and devoted to you, someone who never questions your motivations or decisions, someone who will always adore and comfort you without ever asking a single thing in return, get a pet dog." ~ Crimson Sabatt

November 27, 2010 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Freddie is from Settler France. In my mind, anyway. I got a sort of backstory for him, too.
Heh, go ahead. I wasn't ever going to mention her name unless I can't avoid it. I like this air of mystery!

--

November 27, 2010 at 3:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Plus, if you played the Settlers and came across our fic it might just help immersion if Queenie remained "The Queen". That way, you can always imagine it's "your" Knights doing all these things in "your" imaginary kingdom. By naming her we'll be creating an official kingdom of our own, in a way.

--

November 27, 2010 at 3:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

Maybe I should write a program to randomly select one. 

I'm feeling programmery. So sue me.

--

November 27, 2010 at 3:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

*Mary Sues you*

--

November 27, 2010 at 3:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

Argh! *runs away screaming*

--

November 27, 2010 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

Hey, by even giving her a gender we're alienating half the potential readership.

Oh, who am I kidding? What guy even reads fanfic, let alone Settlers stuff?

--

November 27, 2010 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Heh, has to be a queen. I can't see how any of our fics would possibly work with a king. Definitely not mine, Sabby wouldn't align with a king even if he let her live. She'd run off asap and find a different employer. Or marry him.

--

November 27, 2010 at 5:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

Friendly Fire would never work with a king either; neither would Velvet Battlefield, from memory. So yeah, it's entrenched in fandom. 

--

November 27, 2010 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rockerduck
Administrator

Funny how a king is immediately assumed to be an idiot wuss if he did what Queenie does, eh? Queenie can be all nice and relaxed and still be a strong and just ruler of her empire ...

--

November 27, 2010 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

IFwriter

I wrote my fanfic with a King HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAH

March 14, 2012 at 4:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rose
Site Owner

Ah. Rose's Law: every time I make a dogmatic statement with no real facts to back it up, it will eventually be contradicted. :P

--

March 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.